Support for other databases

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Edited Apr 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Hi!

Do you plan to support other databases?

For example MySQL or SQLite would be nice.

Maybe some new NoSQL, or completely .NET object databases like SiaqoDB, stsDB, db4o, ... ?

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Sure, that's definitely in the plans. The main obstacle now for MySql or SqlLite is that VITA relies on Linq2Sql for translation of custom queries to SQL, and Linq2Sql is available only for SQL Server. I'm exploring all options now, but the definitely it will not be MSSQL-only thing forever. 

NoSql and other doc/object databases - why not? But not my immediate focus for now, many more things to do ahead of it

Roman

May 4, 2015 at 8:20 AM
Seems now there is other relational databases.

About coSQL(non relational) databases, will their addition to late leading to redesign of VITA parts or making current design(tested on relational only) not very well suited?
Coordinator
May 5, 2015 at 6:49 AM
well, it's not that VITA's design is not suited to handling noSQL databases. The problem is about what fwk strong features can be used in noSql space? like VITA is automatically handling schema - but noSQL databases are schemaless. Querying? VITA translates c# query into SQL, but NoSql does not use SQL (for the most part). Some like Mongo use Json-formatted query objects; it is possible to build a translation engine for this, but I'm not sure how well LINQ in c# will match into Json query object. And it means you throw away VITA's LINQ engine. So I so far have hard time imagining what ORM for NoSql might look like, what it possibly can do.. and after this, how VITA can play as such an ORM.
If you can come up with some concrete samples of what it might look like, the client code.. then we'll see if VITA can be fit to do this